This apple kiwi kale smoothie is a delicious way to pack in some nutrients in your day and is super refreshing! It's great for breakfast, or a healthy snack, and will only take you 5 minutes to make!
You guys, this might just be one of my favorite green smoothie recipes! It's a little tart, a little sweet, and super refreshing. It's not creamy since it's made without a banana (don't worry, there is an option to add one if you want it creamy😉) so it's sort of a mix between a green juice and a green smoothie. Either way, it's delicious!
I like smoothies for breakfast, or as a post-workout/healthy afternoon snack. This Strawberry Almond Smoothie, Easy Berry Spinach Smoothie, Pineapple Mango, and Peach Banana Smoothie are some of my other go-tos!
Why This Smoothie
NUTRITIOUS - made with a full cup of kale and kale is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet! You're also getting a good dose of vitamin c, fiber, and antioxidants from the kiwi and apple.
EASY, SIMPLE INGREDIENTS - no fancy ingredients here! This is an easy green smoothie for anyone to enjoy.
REFRESHING - the lemon juice, coconut water, kiwi, and cold smooth texture makes this kale smoothie without banana super refreshing.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
KALE- I use curly kale, but Lacinato, or even baby kale will work. Tear the kale leaves from the thick inner stems before adding to the your smoothie.
Clean food tip: since kale shows up on the Environmental Working Groups Dirty Dozen List time and time again, I recommend buying organic kale.
GREEN APPLE - I like the tartness of a green apple in this kale smoothie recipe, but any variation of apple will work. Green apples also have slightly less sugar, but both varieties have their benefits, so you can't go wrong.
Clean food tip: since apples shows up on the Environmental Working Groups Dirty Dozen List time and time again, I recommend buying organic apples, too.
KIWI - don't peel your kiwi! The skin has a ton of nutrients and it's totally safe to eat! Simply cut the ends off of the kiwi, then cut into 4 pieces, and add to your blender.
HONEY - the honey balances out the lemon juice and adds the perfect amount of sweetness. To keep this vegan, you can sub pure maple syrup or omit all together.
Clean food tip: Raw honey is best; it's less processed and contains more nutrients.
COCONUT WATER- you can use coconut water or regular water.
Clean food tip: Look at your coconut water to ensure the only ingredient is coconut water - you don't want any added sugars or flavors.
LEMON - the lemon juice (along with the honey) masks the bitterness of the kale... I swear, you won't taste the kale in this smoothie.
Not much goes into this kale smoothie recipe! Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend on high until fully blended.
Taste and adjust as needed. Want it sweeter? Add more honey. If it's too thick, add more coconut water. And now enjoy your apple kiwi kale smoothie!
ADD SOME PROTEIN - both almond butter and hemp seeds are good options for adding some protein.
- Almond butter - add 2 TBSP for roughly 7 grams of protein.
- Hemp seeds - add 3 TBSP of hemp seeds for roughly 9 grams sugar.
Or add both for 16 grams of protein!
MAKE IT CREAMY - okay, if you really want this to be creamy (but I swear, it's so good and refreshing without banana), you can add ½ frozen banana, ½ an avocado, or a handful of frozen mango.
USE SPINACH - if kale isn't your thing, or you only have spinach on hand, substitute spinach for the kale.
Yes. It will stay good for about 24 hours. Store covered in the fridge. The ingredients will separate as it sits, so just give it a good stir (or shake) before drinking. Although I do recommend drinking right away. Smoothies are always best when drank right after making them.
Or you could make smoothie packs - store all ingredients, except lemon juice and coconut water, in a baggie in the freezer (up to 3 months). Then add to a blender along with the coconut water and lemon juice and blend up when needed.
This makes enough for one smoothie.
Love Smoothies? Check These Out!
If you make this recipe, please let me know what you think! I would so appreciate you leaving a star rating and/or comment below. And don't forget to share a photo on Instagram or Facebook and mention @CleanPlateMama!
Eat Clean.Be Healthy!
Apple Kiwi Kale Smoothie
- 1 cup packed kale (see notes)
- 1 green apple, cut into 1" chunks
- 1 kiwi (see notes)
- juice from ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp. honey
- ¾ cup coconut water (regular water works too)
- 1 handful of ice cubes (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust as needed. Add more honey or lemon juice to taste. If it’s too thick, add more coconut water.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
- I use curly kale, but Lacinato, or even baby kale will work. Tear the kale leaves from the thick inner stems before adding to the your smoothie.
- Cut the ends from both sides of your kiwi, then cut the kiwi into quarters and add to your blender, skin and all (the skin is the most nutritious part!)
- Please see blog post for add-in options and substitutions.
- If all ingredients are at room temperature when adding to your smoothie, I recommend adding in a handful of ice cubes.
- If you don't have a high-powered blender, you can blend the kale and coconut water first before adding remaining ingredients (this will help the kale to break down.)