This creamy green goodness smoothie is calling your name. This smoothie gets it’s creamy goodness from avocado; no bananas used here! It is packed with nutrients and contains limited fruit. Of course every smoothie needs some fruit, but some smoothies pack in an entire day’s worth in one glass. I like to steer away from smoothies that are mainly fruit.
Lately my 3 year old has been loving smoothies! She loves making them, turning on the blender (and then running away because it’s too loud), and of course drinking them. She even loves playing “smoothie shop” where she comes with fake money once the smoothie is ready in return for a cup of smoothie. Some she really likes, and some she will only take a few sips of and be done, but this one is a favorite. It packs in spinach, cucumber, strawberries, apple, avocado, and flax seeds… what’s not to like!?
Coconut Water as the Base
I use coconut water to up the vitamin and mineral content. However, regular water will do just fine if you don’t have coconut water. Coconut water is also high in electrolytes, so it’s great in smoothies for post work-outs, or just to help keep you hydrated.
Make sure to look for coconut water without added sweeteners or other ingredients. The best choice you can buy is organic coconut water that is found in the refrigerated section. Coconut water that is found non-refrigerated has most likely been pasteurized with heat, which can strip the nutritional content from the coconut water.
This smoothie ends up being pretty thick if made as listed. Pending how thick you like your smoothies you can adjust the amount of water to your liking. We like how thick it is as it’s fun to switch things up a bit and eat it with a spoon. You can always add more water if you’d like.
If you make this creamy green goodness smoothie , please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below and/or share a photo on Instagram and mention @CleanPlateMama!
Creamy Green Goodness Smoothie
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 6 slices cucumber about a 3" piece of cucumber
- 1/2 apple, sliced
- 1 cup packed spinach
- 1 cup coconut water more if you'd like your smoothie less thick
- 3 tbsp. flax seeds or chia seeds
- 1 scoop plant based protein powder optional
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Blend on high until fully blended.
- Pour in glass, sip, and enjoy!
- I recommend organic ingredients when possible. The only ingredient in this recipe that I don’t use organic is the avocado.
- Regular water can be used in place of coconut water.
- Add additional water if you like your smoothie to be less thick.