The key to a healthy broccoli salad is all about the dressing. This salad is lightly dressed with an avocado oil based mayonnaise and lightly sweetened with honey.Jump to Recipe
Eating clean doesn’t mean you need to give up on traditional broccoli salad! This healthy broccoli salad skips the traditional cheese, craisins, and sugar laden dressing… lots of the other broccoli salads have SO.MUCH.SUGAR, but not this guy. I also added in some shredded cabbage for nutrition (and color), used apples for some sweetness, and sprinkled in some cashews for a slight crunch.
Broccoli salad isn’t just for summer either. With the addition of the apples it makes it a great fall salad too, right!?
The Key to Broccoli Salad
A good broccoli salad starts with the broccoli… duh! Broccoli salad is best when the broccoli gets to soak in the dressing. The key… make sure to cut up the broccoli into small little pieces (no big chunks allowed) and let the salad sit for a few hours before devouring.
And add some variety with the other ingredients. I love cabbage in this. It’s such a commonly forgotten vegetable and goes great with broccoli. I am a sucker for bacon (on rare occasions) so I added this in, but you can easily omit if that’s not your thing. And the apples… the apples are the perfect addition to the veggies and are a delight with the dressing.
Oh, the (better for you) Dressing!
The trick to this healthy broccoli salad is all in the dressing and mayonnaise. Mayonnaise gets a bad wrap since most of them are made from unhealthy oils and sugar. In order to keep your broccoli salad clean, you need to buy the right mayonnaise and sweeten with a natural sweetener.
Both Primal Kitchen and Sir Kensington’s make great avocado oil mayonnaises (avocado oil is a very clean oil). But always check the ingredient label to make sure the only oil used is avocado oil. Some may say “made with avocado oil”, but they also contain canola or other unhealthy oils.
I use a little bit of raw honey to lightly sweeten it and don’t over dress the salad – there’s a fine balance between soggy broccoli salad and the perfect mix of dressing.
Looking for More Salad Recipes? I got your back!
If you make this healthy broccoli salad recipe, please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below and/or share a photo on Instagram and mention @CleanPlateMama!
Healthy Broccoli Salad
- 5 cups coarsely chopped broccoli
- 2 cups finely chopped purple cabbage
- 3/4 cup raw cashew halves
- 1 large sweet apple, chopped
- 8 oz. cooked and crumbled bacon
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise see notes
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp. raw honey
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- Place all salad ingredients in large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whish together all of the dressing ingredients.
- Add dressing to broccoli mix and mix until broccoli is evenly coated.
- I recommend refrigerating for a couple hours prior to serving, but you can serve right away.
- In order to keep the dressing clean, use mayonnaise that uses only avocado oil and no other oils.
- The salad will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.