Juicy air fryer turkey burgers that are packed with flavor! These are great for an easy and healthy meal and cook up in less than 15 minutes. These tender patties might just be the best turkey burgers you’ll ever make.
I love a good burger recipe, and I’m all for a big juicy red meat burger, but sometimes it’s nice to change things up a bit and go with a turkey burger.
Some turkey burger recipes can be dry, but fret not, I've added mayonnaise and grated onions to the patties, which makes these air fryer turkey burgers juicy and delicious every time. Gluten free? No problem... breadcrumbs aren't needed in this recipe and the patties hold their shape and stay nice and moist when cooked.
And don't be intimidated by making your own patties. These are so easy to make with only 10 minutes to prep. And these homemade patties are better than any store bought.
These air fryer turkey burgers are great for a quick lunch or easy dinner. And if you're wanting more easy recipes to try, you might also like my cashew chicken salad, sheet pan dinner, chicken fried rice, oven baked fajitas, or skillet lasagna.
A complete list of ingredients and amounts for these air fryer turkey burgers can be found in the recipe card below. Here are some specific notes and substitutions.
- Onion – I recommend a yellow or white onion, but in a pinch, a red onion can be used too.
- Mayonnaise – Mayo is used to add moisture so these burgers are nice and juicy. You can use any mayo, but I highly recommend Primal Kitchen as it's made with avocado oil and no seed or vegetable oils.
- Dijon Mustard - I like Dijon, but you can use regular yellow mustard as well.
Clean food tip: Opt for organic turkey if you can. Organic turkey is raised without the use of antibiotics and is fed certified organic feed (no use of harsh pesticides). Organic certification also requires outdoor access, but the term "access" is loosely defined. In addition, look for labels that certify the animals were raised humanely.
How to Make Turkey Burgers in the Air Fryer
Step 1: Make the fresh turkey patty mixture: Add ground turkey, grated onion, salt, onion powder, garlic, mayo, and Dijon mustard to a medium sized mixing bowl. Using your hands, mix all ingredients together.
Step 2: Make the turkey patties: Divide mixture into 4 evenly sized portions. Make a ball from each quarter of the meat mixture in your hands and then place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Press mixture down into a round patty shape about ½” thick. Using your thumb, place a dent in the middle of each patty (this will help the burger from shrinking while it’s being cooked).
TIP: The meat mixtures will be very sticky – get your hands slightly wet before creating the patties to prevent sticking.
Step 3: Place patties in freezer for a minimum of 20 minutes- this will help the patties set and hold their shape when transferred to the air fryer basket.
Step 4: Cook the turkey patties in the air fryer at 380-degrees F. Using a spatula, carefully transfer patties to the air fryer basket. Air fry for 12-14 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165-degrees F. Flip burgers halfway through cooking time.
Remove from air fryer and serve on your favorite bun or as a lettuce wrap with your favorite toppings. Then enjoy this delicious turkey burger recipe.
In order to make these air fryer turkey burgers, you will need the below equipment.
You can't go wrong with whatever you choose. Just pay attention to the size. Mine is a 6 quart and I wouldn't recommend going any smaller.
Meat thermometer - I recommend a good quality instant digital read meat thermometer so that you can know when your meat is cooked to the required temperature.
Spatula - Needed so you can carefully transfer the patties to the air fryer basket.
But wait... why even use an air fryer? Air frying food is actually quicker than the oven thanks to quick pre-heating and the air circulation method of an air fryer. Personally, I think it also makes most food taste better due to the style of cooking.
Choosing Ground Turkey
You'll probably notice when buying ground turkey that you have a few different options; most commonly 98% lean/ 2% fat or 93% lean/ 7% fat. You may even see 85% lean/ 15% fat. Basically, the higher the fat content, the more juicy and flavorful the turkey will be.
I recommend using the 93/7% for these turkey burgers, but really any ground turkey will work. And because of the mayonnaise and grated onion, you'll still end up with a juicy flavorful burger, regardless of which you choose.
And don't be fooled by the label "all natural" or "no added hormones." The FDA prohibits the use of hormones in poultry, so no turkey has added hormones. If "cleaner" meat is important to you, look for a label that states "no antibodies used," or better yet, a USDA organic certification.
Yep! Pre-heat air fryer to 380-degrees F. Place frozen turkey patties directly in air fryer basket and cook for 13-15 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Note that cooking times will vary depending on your air fryer and size of the burger patties.
Turkey burgers should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165-degrees F, or until they are no longer pink. Unlike beef, ground turkey should not be undercooked as turkey poses the risk of salmonella and other foodborne illnesses.
This depends on your dietary goals and preferences. They are both excellent sources of protein, but turkey is lower in calories and typically lower in fat content. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide which one is "healthier." They are both great choices in my opinion.
Tips & Notes for the Best Homemade Turkey Burgers
- Prior to forming into patties, wet your hands to prevent the meat mixture from sticking to your hands. It will be very sticky!
- Once burger patties are formed, use your thumb to place an indent in the middle of each patty. This will help to prevent them from shrinking up into hockey pucks when cooked.
- Spice up this turkey burger recipe by adding chopped parsley, chopped scallions, chopped cilantro, ranch seasoning, or Italian seasoning.
- Add more veggies to the ground turkey like chopped spinach, chopped sweet pepper, and/or chopped zucchini.
- Add cheese once turkey patties are fully cooked. Turn air fryer off, add cheese to burgers, and return air fryer basket/pan to air fryer and allow cheese to melt. This should take less than 2 minutes.
Suggested Toppings and Side Dishes
Try some of these toppings to bring your turkey burger to whole new level.
And try serving alongside some of these side dishes for a well-rounded meal: Broccoli salad, air fryer smashed potatoes, Roasted Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes, coleslaw, roasted cauliflower steaks, or grilled vegetable pasta salad.
Storing and Freezing
Storing: Keep any leftover turkey burgers in the fridge, covered, for 3-4 days.
Freezing: Allow burgers to cool then place in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 6 months. These freeze great so I highly recommend making a double batch and freezing some for later.
Eat Clean.Be Healthy!
Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
- 1 Air Fryer
- 1 Mixing bowl
- 1 Baking sheet
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- ¼ cup grated yellow or white onion (see notes)
- ½ tsp. fine sea salt
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and combine with your hands until evenly blended.
- To prevent sticking, get your hands slightly wet before forming the patties. Next, divide meat mixture into 4 equal size pieces. Create a ball in your hands with each piece and then place on the prepared baking sheet. Press mixture down into a round patty shape about ½” thick. Using your thumb, place a dent in the middle of the patty (this will prevent the patty from shrinking when cooked). Repeat for all 4 patties.
- Place baking sheet with patties in the freezer for a minimum of 20 minutes. This helps them hold their shape, so they don't fall apart when transferring to the air fryer.
- Preheat air fryer to 380-degrees F. Once preheated, gently transfer the turkey patties to the air fryer basket using a spatula.
- Air fry for 12-14 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165-degrees F. Flip burgers half-way through cooking time.
- If adding cheese, turn the air fryer off and return cooked burgers to air fryer with sliced cheese to allow cheese to melt (this should take less than 2 minutes).
- Serve with your choice of toppings and enjoy!
- To grate onion, place a box grater on a stack of 2-3 paper towels. Using the largest side, grate the onion until you have ¼ cup. Allow paper towels to soak up moisture from onions (no need to ring the moisture out - a little bit keeps the burgers moist).
- If needing these to be Whole30/Paleo be sure to use Whole30 mayonnaise, such as Primal Kitchen. All other ingredients are Whole30/Paleo approved.
- If patties get a little smushed when moving to the air fryer basket, reshape them once in the air fryer.
- Stove top directions: cook turkey patties over med heat for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until internal temperature reaches 165-degrees F.
- Air fryers have different wattage levels which could impact cooking time. For best results, changes to cooking time or temperature may be needed.