Well, we are back at it! School is in session, which means lunch and snack packing on the daily! This nut free energy ball recipe is school safe and a kid favorite.
I wanted to make a nut-free option of one of our favorite snacks… the energy ball! We are fortunate to not have allergies in our house, but I know how scary it can be for others that have this as a daily concern. So here are my allergy and classroom friendly energy balls.
Energy, or bliss balls, (call it what you wish) are a great grab and go snack or an addition to your littles’ lunches (or you own lunch). These nut-free energy balls are made with 6 simple ingredients and are loaded with nutrients! As a replacement for the typical nut butter I added a bunch of ground flaxseeds and extra oats… hello goodness!
Why Flaxseeds? These little seeds are loaded with nutrients, are high in omega-3 fatty acids, are anti-inflammatory, and contain high amounts of lignans (an antioxidant). Fun fact: flaxseeds are the highest source of lignans in the human diet! They also give these little gems some fiber and protein.
All About the Oats! Oats are a very healthy option when it comes to grains. They are low on the glycemic scale which means they keep blood sugar in check and they also support sustainable energy. Oats are a good source of fiber and plant protein and provide you with a good dose of minerals.
How About a Date!? Dates are natures candy. They are high in fiber and a good source vitamins and minerals. Dates are a great energy booster, so are perfect for an afternoon snack. They are very high in sugar (natural of course), but the sugars in dates are more easily processed by the body, so much different than consuming refined sugars. Look for medjool dates as they are softer and have a more caramel like flavor – perfect for recipes!
Mix up these ingredients and keep these energy bites stored in the fridge! And now you have yourself a great snack or add-in for lunches!
Looking for more recipes like this? Check out the below:
If you make this nut-free energy ball recipe, please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below and/or share a photo on Instagram and mention @CleanPlateMama!
Nut-free Energy Balls
- 1 1/2 cups pitted, Medjool dates about 16 dates
- 3/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Place all ingredients, except the mini chocolate chips, in a high speed blender or food processor.
- Blend until there are no large date pieces left and the majority of the oats have been ground down. When ready, the mixture will naturally start to crumble. If it's starting to clump together and sticks when you smash some between your fingers, it's ready. You may need to scrape down the sides of your blender of food processor a few times to get it all fully blended.
- Scoop mixture into a separate bowl and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Form mixture into 1" balls (a little over a tablespoon of mixture per ball). Mixture makes between 16 and 18 balls.
- Store in refrigerator. Will keep fresh for up to one week.
- If your dates aren’t pitted, just tear them open and take pit out before using in the recipe.
- I like Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips as they use minimal ingredients and are allergy friendly.
Resoures: https://draxe.com/nutrition/fruit/medjool-dates/ https://www.livestrong.com/article/507760-what-are-the-benefits-of-eating-dates/ https://draxe.com/nutrition/seeds/10-flax-seed-benefits-nutrition-facts/ https://draxe.com/nutrition/grains/are-oats-gluten-free/