Overnight oats are such an easy and healthy breakfast and these blueberry chia overnight oats are perfect to wake up to!
How Do You Make Overnight Oats?
For this recipe, it’s as easy as taking some rolled oats, non-dairy milk (you can use dairy milk if that’s your thing), chia seeds, blueberries, and nuts and mixing it all in a leak proof container (I prefer mason jars) and soaking it overnight.
Soaking the oats overnight allows them to absorb the liquid and soften them up so they are ready for eating.
What Makes These Blueberry Overnight Oats Healthy?
- Whole Grains – naturally, overnight oats are made with oats. Oats are a great source of whole grains. My favorite oats (and we go through a lot of them) are GF Harvest Gluten-Free Organic Rolled Oats.
- Chia Seeds – there is a good amount of these super seeds in this recipe. Chia seeds are a great source of omega-3s and are rich in antioxidants. They are also great for providing fiber and protein.
- Sweetened with Frozen Blueberries – this recipe doesn’t call for any added sugar (even the natural kind). The key to adding sweetness to these oats is in the frozen blueberries. As the blueberries thaw overnight they will produce a perfectly sweet blueberry syrup that helps to lightly sweeten the oats.
- Walnuts – lots of healthy fats in these power nuts and they also contain a good amount of protein and are high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Did I mention these are power nuts!?
Can These Be Made with Fresh Blueberries?
Absolutely. Just know that the frozen blueberries create a nice sweet syrup once they thaw, which helps to sweeten the oats. But if you want to use fresh blueberries and would like the oats to be sweeter, just add some pure maple syrup.
How Long Do Overnight Oats Last?
You know I love anything that is great for food prepping, and overnight oats are one of those things! Overnight oats will stay good in the fridge for up to 3 days, so go ahead and make a few servings and you’ll have breakfast ready for a few days!
Looking for more easy breakfast options? I got your back! Check these out:
Did you make these blueberry chia overnight oats? Please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, give me a star rating, and/or share a photo on Instagram and mention @CleanPlateMama!
Eat Clean.Be Healthy!
Blueberry Chia Overnight Oats
- 1 cup rolled oats certified gluten-free if needed
- 2 cups non-dairy milk dairy-milk works too
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or any other nut
- Use 2 mason jars, or any other leak proof container, to prep overnight oats. Start by placing 1/2 cup oats in each jar.
- Poor 1 cup milk and 1 tbsp. chia seeds in each jar. Stir oats, milk, and chia seeds until oats are fully submerged in the milk.
- Add 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and 2 tbsp. chopped walnuts to each jar. Tightly close up each jar.
- Refrigerate overnight. Oats will be ready in the morning, or will stay good for 3 days.
- If you’d like a little extra sweetness, feel free to drizzle some maple syrup on them before eating.
- You can combine all ingredients in one large jar or bowl and divide servings out in the morning if you don’t need them in individual jars.
- Overnight oats will stay good in the fridge for 3 days.