Crispy Brussels sprouts with goat cheese and honey. This is what happens when goat cheese, honey, and Brussels sprouts meet. These crispy Brussels sprouts are easy and quick to make; the perfect side dish to any meal!
Yes, there is an “s” at the end of Brussels… confusing, I know! Anyway, when my youngest daughter was about 3 years old I was eating Brussels sprouts and she said “mommy, are you eating a flower?” I guess the outer leaves of the Brussels sprouts do resemble flower pedals. Oh, the cuteness of tiny ones.
While not a flower, they are a plant and contain numerous health benefits. Brussels sprouts are a cousin to kale, broccoli, and cabbage so obviously are good for you! They are a good source of fiber and provide a plethora or vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Brussels are especially known for vitamin C and vitamin K, and for containing anti-inflammatory compounds. Time to dish up!
The Key to Crispy Brussels Sprouts
Listen up! The secret to crispy Brussel sprouts is a 2 step process. You need to fry them first in order to get them nice and crispy on the edges and then you need to continue cooking them in the oven. Doing one or the other will not yield the same results.
In order to fry and then transfer to the oven, you will need a cast iron skillet. They are inexpensive and are pretty much great for everything. I recommend this Lodge Cast Iron skillet.
Start by slicing the Brussels sprouts in half lengthwise. Place cut side down in skillet prepared with olive oil. Fry for about 10 minutes, or until bottom of each Brussel are crispy (do no stir during this process). When Brussels have their crispy edge, gently stir with some salt and transfer to oven. Bake to 8-10 minutes more (pending the size of your Brussels sprouts) until soft all the way though.
And to Top It Off
The beauty in this recipe is all about the goat cheese and honey. After the Brussels are fried and cooked, they are topped with goat cheese crumbles and drizzled with honey. Add the goat cheese right away so that it starts to melt ever so slightly… drool!
These are best served right from the oven to maintain the crispiness. Serve straight from skillet or transfer to a bowl. Store leftovers in fridge – even though they’ll lose the crispy outside, they will still taste delicious!
This recipe makes enough for 4 servings. If you are making for a large group I highly recommend doubling or tripling the recipe.
If you make this recipe, please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below and/or share a photo on Instagram and mention @CleanPlateMama!
Crispy Brussels Sprouts with Goat Cheese and Honey
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt plus more to taste
- 2 1/2 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp. raw honey
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut ends off of Brussels sprouts and cut Brussels sprouts in half lengthwise.
- Spread oil on bottom of skillet and place Brussels sprouts, cut side down, in pan.
- Cook Brussels on the stove over medium high heat until the cut sides are brown and crispy. This should take about 10 minutes (do not stir), but I would start checking around 8 minutes.
- Once Brussels are crisp on cut side, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt and gently stir. Place skillet directly into preheated oven.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until Brussels can be pierce with a fork. Mix half way through.
- Immediately sprinkle crumbled goat cheese and drizzle the honey on the Brussel sprouts. Add more salt to taste.
- Best served right away. You can either serve directly from skillet or transfer to a bowl.
- I have two cast iron skillets, so when I double the recipe I use two skillets and fry them at the same time. However, I do combine them into one skillet when I transfer them to the oven.