Mmmm….. guacamole! Or mole-guac as we call it in my house. When my daughter was 2 years old she called guacamole “mole-guac” and it was just too cute to ever revert back to calling it what it actually is. So anyway, guacamole! One of my all time favorite foods. I mean, what’s not to love!? A big bowl of mashed up avocado with some lime juice, spices and herbs and you have a bowl of healthy goodness!
Did you know that the avodado is a fruit and is actually a large berry? Avocados are packed full of healthy fats, like monounsaturated fatty acids, they contain more potassium than a banana, and are high in fiber and antioxidants. No wonder people call them a super food! Some experts say they even help to prevent against certain cancers. So, no need to feel guilty if you devour this entire bowl.
Looking for the perfect avocado for you guacamole? Look for avocados that are soft to the touch and are typically darker in color. If you can’t lightly squeeze the avocado it’s not ripe. This recipe calls for 4 large avocados, but if you can only find small ones use 5. And feel free to adjust the recipe if you are a garlic lover, prefer less cilantro, etc. Also, I dislike spice so this guacamole is very mild. Some people like a chopped up jalapeno, so if that’s your thing, add that. But obviously I love it just the way it is.
Guacamole is my absolute favorite thing to bring to a BBQ or get-together. It’ so easy and is a definite crowd pleaser. You are sure to be a favorite if you bring this to your next get-together.
If you make this recipe, please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below and/or share a photo on Instagram and mention @CleanPlateMama!
This guacamole is the perfect combination of avocados, lime juice, onion, garlic, and salt. Don't feel guilty if you devour the entire bowl!
- 4 large, ripe avocados (5 if they are on the small side)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt more to taste
- 1-2 limes, juiced
Cut avocados in half lengthwise and discard the pit. Scoop out avocados with a spoon and place in medium size bowl.
Add remaining ingredients and mash well with a fork or back of a spoon.
Taste and adjust ingredients as needed.
- I usually use the juice from 2 limes, but I recommend starting with one and adding more to your liking.
- Depending on how big your garlic cloves are, you may be fine with one. But if they are small, I definitely recommend using two.
- I don’t like spice, so I omit a jalapeño, but if spice is your thing, go ahead and add in some chopped jalapeño.