Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad with Maple Vinaigrette
Kale and crunchy shaved Brussels sprouts with apples, roasted walnuts, and goat cheese all tossed in a maple vinaigrette. The perfect and quick salad to accompany any meal!
Servings 4 side servings
- 3 cups thinly torn kale leaves, loosely packed (about 2 large stems)
- 2 cups thinly sliced Brussels sprouts (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 large sweet apple, chopped
- 4 oz goat cheese crumbles
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh orange juice (lemon juice works too)
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. pure maple syrup (more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt (more to taste)
Preheat oven to 350.
Place walnuts on lined baking sheet and roast in preheated oven for 5-7 minutes. Once the walnuts are fragrant, they are done. Don't roast too long or they will burn.
While the walnuts are roasting, prepare the salad. Start by taking your thinly torn kale leaves and add to a large bowl. Drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and massage with your hands. Yes, massage the kale :) Make sure the olive oil gets rubbed into the kale leaves. This will help soften the leaves and take out some of the bitterness of the kale. Add Brussels sprouts to kale.
Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together and pour over kale and Brussels sprouts. Mix until the greens are evenly coated.
Add the roasted walnuts, chopped apple, and crumbled goat cheese to the kale and Brussels. Toss lightly to combine.
Serve and enjoy!
- I use curly kale for this salad, but lacinato kale will work too. You could even use baby kale. If using baby kale, you don't need to massage it first.
- Try to cut your Brussels sprouts as thin as possible; it should resemble more of a Brussels sprouts slaw.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 days. The salad will be slightly soggier than when you first made it, but trust me, it’s still delicious!
Calories: 419kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 256mg | Potassium: 578mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 5684IU | Vitamin C: 104mg | Calcium: 162mg | Iron: 3mg