Healthier Scotcheroo Bars (GF+DF)
This healthier recipe for scotcheroos uses honey, coconut palm sugar, and natural peanut butter. Better-for-you and still delicious!
Servings 16 bars
For the Bars
- 3 cups gluten-free brown rice crisps cereal (if not gluten free, any rice crisp cereal will work)
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup + 2 TBSP coconut sugar (also called coconut palm sugar)
- 1 heaping cup natural peanut butter
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt (if your peanut butter does not contain salt)
For the Chocolate Topping
- 3/4 cup dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips (if not dairy free, any variation of chocolate chips will work)
- 1/2 TBSP natural peanut butter
Prepare to make bars by adding brown rice crisps to a large mixing bowl.
Next, add the honey and coconut sugar to a small sauce pan. Heat on medium until the coconut sugar is fully dissolved and small bubbles start to form in the mix. Stirring occasionally during this process.
Turn heat to low and add peanut butter and salt to honey/sugar and mix until combined and smooth. Note: final peanut butter mix will be thick.
Pour peanut butter mix in bowl with brown rice crisps. Mix until crisps are fully incorporated. If needed, use your hands to mix together.
Press mixture into an 8x8 or 9x9 pan.
Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl or sauce pan. If using the microwave, melt in increments of 30-45 seconds, stirring in between, until melted. If using the stovetop, heat over low heat, stirring frequently until chips are melted. Mix in the 2 TBSP peanut butter to melted chocolate and then spread over bars.
Allow chocolate to fully set before cutting into bars.
- Don't push the peanut butter and crisps mixture too firmly into the pan - if you condense the mixture too much when putting in the pan your bars will be really hard.
- You can double the recipe for a 9x13 pan.
Calories: 224kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 112mg | Potassium: 165mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 4IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 1mg