Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (paleo)
These easy chili stuffed sweet potatoes are perfect for a weeknight dinner. Real food, filling, delicious!
Servings 4 servings
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 can chopped/diced tomatoes
Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Wash sweet potatoes and pierce each potato with a fork 4-5 times (this allows steam to escape while baking). Place potatoes on prepared baking sheet and bake for 45-60 minutes, or until you can easily pierce the potatoes all the way through with a fork. The size of your potatoes will determine the exact baking time.
While the sweet potatoes are baking, prepare the chili. Add the ground beef, onion, and garlic to a medium-size skillet. Break up ground beef and mix with onion and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat until the ground beef is fully cooked and no longer pink. Turn heat to medium-low and stir in the chili powder, cumin, salt, and canned tomatoes. Cook until fully heated. Keep over low heat until potatoes are ready.
Take your baked sweet potatoes and slice down the middle. Stuff with chili and top with your desired toppings,
- I recommend grass-fed/grass-finished ground beef when possible.
- Try to find sweet potatoes that are roughly the same size; this will help when baking to ensure they all done around the same time.
- Recommended toppings include guacamole or avocado, cilantro, sour cream (plain almond milk Greek yogurt if you're dairy-free), green onion, and/or radishes.
- For an even easier dinner, cook the sweet potatoes ahead of time so all you need to do is quickly make the chili and re-heat the sweet potatoes.
Calories: 520kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 562mg | Potassium: 1335mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 32939IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 132mg | Iron: 6mg