I’ve been needing some alternatives for breakfast these days after finding out I have an egg allergy (lame!). Baked goods are always a good choice for breakfast….ummm… delicious! But sometimes a morning calls for some straight up meat and vegetables and when that’s the case, this easy sausage and vegetable breakfast skillet is hitting the stove top!
I do try to limit my meat consumption, so I like anything I make to have a ton of veggies and a side serving of meat. This skillet only calls for 1lb of meat and a lot of vegetables, so I’m keeping the meat content low and the veggie content high. Just how I like it!
Don’t let the name fool you though, this breakfast skillet can easily be made for dinner too! It would be amazing with some fried eggs on top and trust me, if it wasn’t for my current avoidance of eggs, I would have done that. Or gluten-free waffles on the side would be delicious as well. And feel free to adjust the vegetables to your liking! If Brussels aren’t your thing, than add another type of potato, more onion, or peppers. You can customize to your liking.
No skillet? No problem! You can use a regular saute pan as well. But if you don’t have a cast iron skillet, I would highly recommend one! They are extremely versatile and go from stove to oven, or vice versa. Cast iron is great at retaining heat so it keeps your food warm much longer than a regular pan and you don’t need to worry about chemicals leaking into your food from non-stick cookware. And, they are just fun to cook with! Lodge makes a great cast iron skillet. They do take some getting used to, but are great once you are used to them!
If you make this recipe, please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below and/or share a photo on Instagram and mention @CleanPlateMama!
Easy Sausage and Vegetable Breakfast Skillet
- 1 lb. ground sausage
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped into small cubes (about 1/2")
- 2 cups sliced Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. thyme, divided
- 1 tsp. garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. rosemary
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. coconut sugar (optional)
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat skillet (or regular sauté pan) over med-high heat.
- Add the ground sausage, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. thyme, 1/2 tsp. garlic, pepper, rosemary, paprika, and coconut sugar (optional) to pre-heated skillet. Break sausage into small crumbles and mix in seasoning.
- Cook sausage until cooked through, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. When done, remove sausage from skillet and set aside.
- Add sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts to skillet along with olive oil, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. garlic, and 1/2 tsp. thyme. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until veggies begin to soften.
- Uncover and add chopped onions. Continue to cook until all veggies are cooked through; about 5 additional minutes.
- Add cooked sausage back to skillet and cook 2 additional minutes to reheat sausage.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!