I’m always looking for new breakfast ideas for my kids and family. We don’t eat cereal in our house, so it’s always important that I have some things stored up in the freezer for a quick and easy breakfast during the week. Pull these out of the freezer, warm them up, grab some fruit and we have a super simple and quick breakfast! While I don’t like to let my kids think it’s okay to eat “cookies” for breakfast, when I ask if they want a breakfast “cookie” they get pretty excited… it’s probably the chocolate chips!
You can make them without the chocolate chips, however, I do feel as though they add just the right amount of sweetness as the cookies themselves are not sweet. And I actually really LOVE that they are not super sweet as I want my kids to enjoy foods that aren’t packed full of sugar (even when it’s a natural sweetener like maple syrup or honey). This recipe does call for a little bit of honey, but that is completely optional. Completely your preference if you’d like to add some sweetness. We do a lot of baking around here, so when I can come up with a recipe with limited sweetness and still tastes delicious, I call that a win!
These cookies are gluten-free and full of nutrient dense ingredients! Don’t be fooled by the name “breakfast cookies” – these are the perfect snack too!
These are great as a breakfast or as a snack!
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 cup old fashioned oats gluten-free
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix mashed banana, oil, honey, eggs, and vanilla in medium bowl.
3. In a large bowl mix the almond flour, oats, flaxseed, and baking powder.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Scoop batter onto cookie sheet in 2″ mounds. Batter should be thick, but not too thick like cookie dough.
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until light golden brown.